THE '30' COUNTDOWN

Thursday 5 January 2012

The Great Gatsby - Book Report

The cover of the first edition of The SAM SCHMIDT, 1925.

Well, it's done! I have read 'The Great American Novel', and with a lead in like that and my love of all things Red, White and Blue I obviously had high expectations!

In good news, I finished the book in one day! However this may of had more to do with wanting to get it over with, than not being able to put it down.

I struggled! I'm not sure what that says about me. The writing was very descriptive and a lot of 'older' type words which made it really hard to get into, so much so that I may have wikipedia'ed the book half way through to get an overview of the plot, just to see where it was going!

In saying that, I did eventually start to enjoy it! I really liked the narrator character Nick Carraway, and am drawn to books / TV shows / movies about the 'roaring 20's' and anything to do with American society. The deceptions of houses on East & West Egg (Long Island) had a very 'Kennedy' Hyannis Port / Cape Cod feel to them - always a winner with me!

And there you have it, a literary classic has been read! TICK!


No comments:

Post a Comment