THE '30' COUNTDOWN

Tuesday 10 April 2012

6. Learn to drive a manual car

This was the first task that had me wishing it never made the list!

As the moment got closer to having to get behind the wheel of the big scary manual car, the more I felt sick to the stomach!! The idea of failing and not being able to do it scared me a lot more than I thought it would and there was much panic, butterflies and nervous palm sweating! On top of this there may have even been a slight temper tantrum (who, me??) prior to sliding into the drivers seat, but luckily for me my fantastic friend Tina, who was also my trusty driving instructor is use to my said tantrums, and made me do it anyway!


After a run through from Tina on how it all works, it was time to set off and balance the move between clutch and accelerating with chants in my head of 'please don't bunny hop, please don't bunny hop'!!

And.........success!! No hopping for me! I successfully set off into first, second, third gear and was truly flying along, wind in the hair, at the crazy speed of 60 (or was it 40??) - but hey, who cares, I was driving!!


What can I say, Mt Panorama, here I come!!

My highlights included conquering corners, driving around pedestrians and many a parked car without hitting anyone/thing and allowing Tina's car to stay bump free!

No major rush to get out there and do it all again, but if there is ever an emergency and no one else is around who can drive a manual car, and there is only manual cars available, I'm your girl!! To make sure I don't forget my new found skills, Tina will also make me do refresher courses every so often.

Big credit to all those manual drivers out there, the coordination and remembering everything that needs to be done is impressive plus!

A HUGE thanks to Tina for helping me stay calm (eventually) and get through number 6 on my list!! DONE!

3 comments:

  1. Manual cars are great for starters. In manual cars, it's easier to learn the basics in driving and you would have a better understanding of how the car works. Also, you will no longer have problems in driving the automatic ones, once you've learned how to drive a manual car. Anyway, glad to hear that your driving lessons are successful. It's always frightening at first, yet it makes the learning experience worthwhile. Have a safe drive!


    Rookie Driver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for creating such an informative blog. I enjoy reading your blog and appreciate the hard work that goes into maintaining it. You provide a great service by providing readers with a variety of interesting content. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to read your blog and have learned a lot from the content that you provide. Apart from this, if you ever want to know about Manual Transmission Driving Lessons you can contact us. We are the leading and the best driving school in the south bay area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moreover, Manual Driving Lessons in Sale
    teach valuable lessons about coordination, timing, and situational awareness. By learning to operate a manual transmission, you become more attuned to the road, anticipate gear changes, and make smoother maneuvers. These skills not only improve your overall driving ability but also enhance your safety on the road.

    ReplyDelete